Sunday, March 15, 2009

Semana pasada

This last week was also a blur, as I suspect most of the next three months will be. I've had many new dishes to try, including cactus (nopales). No picture--sorry! My host mom actually brought up the idea of taking a picture, but I didn't quite catch on to the Spanish, so I completely blanked on giving her my camera. Oh well, it seems like a common dish here, so more opportunities in the future.

Language training is fun, I seem to be doing OK (although, funny story, I have already been "demoted" a level). For those of you who do not know Spanish, here is a taste of what our class is like (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngRq82c8Baw). There is a Second Semester video as well, but I have not had a chance to watch it.

Last Sunday, I attended Catholic Mass (Misa) with my host mom and sister. The church they attend is the one in this picture. There are a lot of old churches in Querétaro, and they are all very beautiful. This one was no exception.



One person in our group has discovered churros here, and she actually gets a kick-back of free churros from the "churro guy" whenever we stop by as a group! We definitely get to tease her about it. They even fill them with sauces (churro rellenos). Think chocolate, strawberry, etc., inside a churro! This is a traditional churro with no filling.



On Saturday, our entire group banded together and went to the local La Lucha Libre auditorium La Lucha Libre is the Méxican version of wrestling...but not really. I have not seen the movie Nacho Libre, but I was told that this wasn´t quite the same, either. It seems like something in-between the two. It was a lot of choreographed stunts, with no real attempt made at making it ¨real¨ (think chest slapping, etc., instead of actual hits). While the place wasn't packed, some of us americanos created as much noise as the locals. The lighting in the auditorium was horrible, but these two were the Star Wars fighters.

1 comment:

Ethan said...

LOL -- I want to see you on youtube singing THAT song!!!!!!! =)

btw, yum on the churros!

Time in México City, México: