Sunday, March 8, 2009

First week in México



A picture of Querétaro is here. I think I have seen this fountain / statue in other blogs, and someone mentioned that it is a famous landmark in Querétaro. It is located in the historic central district.

We´ve had a busy first week in México, even though it was just a partial week. If later weeks are all this full, PST will be busy indeed! Throughout the many briefings, we have also had time to get to know our host families and other volunteers. Without going into too much detail, I will say that my host family is very nice, and I am the sixth language student that they have hosted. The first student they hosted was also a Wolverine, so I walked in to a house with a Michigan magnet on the fridge!



On Friday night, the Peace Corps office hosted a fiesta so that we could get to know the staffers, their families, and the other host families. There was a lot of good, home-cooked food. The picture here is of a dessert I had, rice with milk (like a rice pudding). In the corner, you can also see doughnuts! They had a couple of piñatas, some dancing, and musical chairs!



Saturday was our first language lesson, where we also got loaded down with some Spanish books to study from. It was interesting, and I am most likely in over my head. But it's a good challenge, and I am sure I will learn a lot. In the evening, a couple of us went to a fútbol game with one of the PC staff spouses. The local team is the Gallos (roosters), and they lost a heartbreaker 2-1. At the game, we split a snack (not sure of the name) that was like longer versions of the crispy chow-mein noodles you get in Chinese restaurants. They put salsa and lime on them for us (with flavoring was definitely the way to go). You can see them in the picture below, the long, stringy things in the back of the box.

2 comments:

Ethan said...

YES -- 2 thumbs up for the food pics! Home cooked food is always the best! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Hm... they almost look like "buñelo" sticks. I don't know exactly though. But do you like the food? Its some of the best in the world; and if you have the chance, ask sometime to make "flautas con pollo" or "barbacoa". It will be some of the best food you'll eat in your life. Though barbacoa and menudo are bit more of special occasion foods.

Time in México City, México: