Sunday, March 1, 2009

Packing List and group update

We received some sad news today from our group, one of the couples has been delayed until the September 09 departure for Mexico (it does exist!), so it sounds like we are down to 16. They have been very diligent about going down to Querétaro on their own for Spanish classes, so we will probably see them during our language training.

Here is a rough packing list for what I'm bringing, along with my luggage. Current México volunteers have said that we will have access to things that we can buy in the US, so I took a lot of things off my list based on that...plus, I was running out of room. I may not be able to fit all of this into my bags either, but I'll find out soon. Unfortunately, I didn't keep track of what is in which piece of luggage. My total checked baggage weight should be around 60 lbs. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the books and binders that I will get during Pre-Service Training (PST), but I will figure it out. I should have stuck to the advice I was given and just packed a toothbrush...

Right now it's dumping snow where I'm at (looks like 2-3" of the wet stuff), so hopefully my flight to DC tomorrow won't be canceled.

Luggage
1x Messenger bag
1x Travel / daypack
1x 85L hiking pack (to be checked)
1x 22" wheeled duffel bag (to be checked)
1x 26" duffel bag (just for in-country use, so stuffed into another pack right now)

Electronics
1x Laptop with neoprene sleeve
1x Point & shoot camera
2x USB thumbdrives
1x Skype-friendly headset
1x Travel alarm clock
1x Franklin Spanish-English dictionary

Clothes
1x Sport jacket
1x Tie
2x Belts (one black, one brown)
8x Long-sleeve, button-up shirts
8x T-shirts
1x Vest
2x Khaki pants
1x Jeans
1x Quick-dry jeans
1x Swimming trunks
1x Hoodie
1x Wicking long-sleeve shirt
2x Wicking t-shirts
1x Gym shorts
1x Gym pants
1x Light-weight rain jacket
1x Med-weight water / wind proof jacket
2x Bandannas
1x Baseball cap
1x Pair of dress shoes
1x Pair of hiking boots
1x Pair of tennis shoes
1x Pair of running shoes
1x Pair of sandals
8x Boxers
8x Pairs of socks

Toiletries
1x Electric toothbrush with extra brush heads
Alcohol wipes for glasses
Some wet-wipes and hand sanitizer
Sunscreen
Deodorant
Toothpaste, floss, etc.
Razor
Set of thin travel towels

Misc
1x Multitool
1x Flashlight
1x Headlamp
Some gum & mints (possibly useful as gifts for kids if I don't eat them first)
2x Medium tote bags from local places (as host gifts)
2x 2009 local calendars (as host gifts)
Some travel entertainment (playing cards, puzzles, etc.)
2x Pair of prescription glasses
1x Lonely Planet guide for México
1x Lonely Planet phrasebook for México
1x AAA guide and map for México
1x USA map
1x Nalgene bottle
Couple of Tupperware containers
Pictures of family and friends
Random school supplies for training (pens/pencils, paper, etc.)
The Kite Runner
Crucial Conversations

3 comments:

Ethan said...

That's quite a list! =) Hope that all fits!!!

Shane said...

You're all set, man!

One thing they should have mentioned in the documents was about mobile phones. You can buy a cheap one down here, but ... if you happen to have a GSM phone (AT&T, T-Mobile, or international), you can get it "unlocked" (if necessary) by calling the carrier and then you can use it with a new phone account down here.

Hopefully I'll see you at a welcome gathering soon!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, Kite Runner -- It's a great book.

That's a big list, hopefully everything will fit. Though, I suppose you can do without the Phrasebook; I got you're one phrase right here: "Soy gringo. Necesito ayuda." Okay, I'm kidding, that's a bit mean.

The temperature in Mexico is generally nice, unless you're in the montañas then it'll be a bit chillier. :)

Time in México City, México: