Sunday, September 26, 2010

Chess and Safari

Saturday I went back to the big Cultural Complex, where they host a weekend open-chess club / teaching session in the afternoons. I got to play a couple of people, and it was fun to brush up on my skills. Nothing serious, though! They did have these kids playing with giant pieces on the ground, which I thought was a riot...this kid is deep in though.



Today (Sunday), I went to the local safari, Afrikam. You can grab a bus from the city or take your own car, but it's kind of like the San Diego zoo where you can drive around to these open-air zones with different types of animals. We actually had some monkeys jump onto our bus and hitch a ride for a little bit, but I couldn't get any sort of picture or video.

Here you can see some of their tigers taking a siesta. They get to eat 8 kgs of meat, six days a week. Note how they're hugging each other while spooning...



And finally we went to a bird show. This is a Golden Eagle (in Spanish, Aguila Real), which is the eagle on the Mexican flag. I've had the chance to hold a raptor on my arm before, and while birds are fairly light, I can only imagine how much this guy weighs on this poor woman's arm...

No comments:

Time in México City, México: