Friday, September 11, 2009

Thoughts of America

This is a very sad weekend for me. Yesterday (Thursday) I had to say goodbye to the second person to leave my site. Out of the 3 volunteers that started in my office, I am the only survivor 3.5 months after swearing in. We had all been through a lot together, and both the others left to take care of personal business back home (good and bad). If I were in their shoes, I would also be heading back home in a split second, so I understand where they are coming from. Still, it hurts to think about because we had all gotten along pretty well both at work and outside of work, and I still get emotional thinking about this last goodbye. All I can hope for is that the friendships continue beyond Peace Corps. Peace Corps, like any other association, is just a medium to bring people together, and it is not the end-all-and-be-all of anything.

Today continues my sad note. I am actually on vacation in Oaxaca, but a volunteer couple from my group that I am meeting up with are also going back to the states in a week and a half. At least 4 out of our original 16 will have left before Reconnect...all are good people, and the couple is also going back to the states for very good reasons. I hate saying goodbyes, but I am glad that I have been able to say goodbye in person to all those in my group who have left so far. Maybe that´s a sign of bad luck on my part...

All of the ETs make me wonder what I am accomplishing here in Mexico. On some level, I feel like I could ¨accomplish¨ more in a job back in the states. On the other hand, I know that I will never get this kind of opportunity again, because all 4 people who have left basically left because life back in the states caught up with them. Kids, grand-kids, family illnesses, etc., are pretty strong factors that make Peace Corps look darn unimportant. I am ¨lucky¨ that I do not have any of those factors in my life right now, so I can afford to focus on Peace Corps. Is there a standard ¨profile¨ of volunteers that finish their 2 years of service? What is 2 years of my life worth to me?

On a pseudo-related note (thinking about the states), I read this article earlier this week, and I really relate to the story now:

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/09/07/atlanta.ludacris.cars/index.html?iref=newssearch

The lack of a personal vehicle in Peace Corps makes transportation a very frustrating experience for me. The added time to do even the simplest things is a huge factor in lifestyle, and owning a car is a convenience that I never fully appreciated in the states.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very proud of you!!

Roger and Anne said...

Entiendo! Loved the article about the car giveaway.

Time in México City, México: