Saturday, July 25, 2009

House of Blues

So here is my very manly pink and red house. La casa rosa! I have an extra guest room with an actual bed and a second full bathroom, so anyone who feels like visiting the norteños, there is space! I finally got everything except Internet installed yesterday, so the house now feels livable. Just very empty...maybe I need a puppy or something...



Yesterday I also started feeling the new-location blues (hence the my house feels empty comment). I can only stand puttering around the house for so long, then I need to do something. Especially when the entire house is an oven. I think part of the feeling is the normal Peace Corps experience, but I actually think a lot of it is just the challenge of moving to a new location and having to start over (just amplified). I had the same experience after college, moving to a new town and new job. It took me about a year and a half, two years before I finally called my city home. I had to find activities I was interested in, make new friendships, etc. So, I figure that by the time I leave, I´ll finally feel like I belong! I know the PCV experience always starts out this way, and others in my group are going through the same things, but boy, it is a downer...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, a house in wonderland! Hey, going through the same experience might just make you feel a new grad again - feel younger. However, it seems you got a real nice place to stay for now. How long can you stay in this manly house if you like it? Is “519” the street number? With all the efforts, you are doing incredibly well! Again, thank you for keeping updating….

Shane said...

Hang in there. Yes, it's normal and yep, it sucks for a bit. Just stay busy with the things you enjoy and you'll fall into a groove and meet people too.

Dani said...

Don't worry, it will get better... and busier... and then one day you'll wonder where the 27 months went and what on earth to do with all the stuff in your house.

Jensen said...

Strange... (or maybe not, actually) this seems to be the "it would be nice to have a pet" phase for PCM07! I know Dan & Lissy are getting one, and it looks like I just adopted a stray puppy.

BTW... Anonymous's comment might make you want to re-think posting that particular photo of la casa rosa...

Time in México City, México: