Monday, December 22, 2008

Packing!

My manager called me today with some great news--my leave of absence has been approved! Many thanks to him and my HR consultant for pushing that through. Right off the bat, it means that I don't have to fly back on Jan 6th to turn in my badge, etc., so saves me a day trip. Secondly, although it doesn't guarantee me a job when I return from PC in 2011, nor does it mean I have to return to work, it does make it easier to get rehired.

I have also started the packing process, one of those things that perplexes me (I'm easily perlexed, though). What kind of luggage do I use? What do I take? What can I buy in country? Do I need a two-year supply of everything?!?!!? PC provides a country-specific packing list, but they also warn you that you will not be able to fit everything on that list into your luggage. So, you have to whittle it down to whatever you think you absolutely need--and what you can carry! There are limits on luggage (two checked bags, total dimensions of 107 inches, and total weight of 80 lbs, with no more than 50 lbs in a single bag). If you go over the limits and an airline charges you extra money, you're paying out of your own pocket. Keep in mind, a lot of countries do not have infrastructure like the US, and you wind up carrying your luggage over a dirt road or through narrow cobblestone streets instead of wheeling it on a paved sidewalk. I bought an REI Mars 85L backpack, which may be a little bit on the large side. However, I'm hoping I don't fill it up completely, and I can use the extra space while in country. My other checked bag will probably be a medium-sized duffle bag, with a messenger bag as my carry-on.

My packing experience so far has involved throwing things into a giant pile on my bedroom floor. I have some pictures of my pile, but unfortunately my camera cradle to download pictures (no straight USB connection) is in a cardboard box somewhere on a FedEx truck, so I will upload pictures later this week. It's a good thing my parents do not regularly walk by my bedroom...

No comments:

Time in México City, México: