Sunday, October 19, 2008

What I will be doing in Mexico

So what does a Peace Corps volunteer do in Mexico? Mexico is just south of the border, so why does it need PCVs?

To see the history of PC Mexico, you can check the Peace Corps Wiki article on it.

My specific volunteer description (I will be a Generic Engineer, working with CONACYT, pronounced con-ya-seet, I think):
  1. Providing technical assistance and advice to center clients on projects as necessary
  2. Helping develop new clients and business for the center
  3. Providing technical advice to engineering staff
  4. Providing technical support to manufacturing, sales and marketing units
  5. Identifying and evaluating new opportunities
  6. Evaluating materials and processes for products that must meet specialized design and performance
  7. Helping develop instructional and promotional materials as necessary
  8. Providing leadership to unit in meeting objectives
  9. Traveling to meet with industry and other center representatives as necessary
  10. Teaching, mentoring and/or training technicians, engineering and post graduate students
  11. Participate in strategic planning and problem-solving exercises
So far, sounds like work! Except it will be in Spanish...and my understanding is that I'm not really supposed to be an "employee" (i.e. I would not have a unique, defined role in a project), but rather that I am to be a partner (i.e. I work with a host country partner as a team / advisor). I'm not really clear on those details, though, and I probably won't find out until I arrive in country.

3 comments:

Dani said...

Stumbled across your blog....i'm a current mexico vol and just wanted to say that i am glad to see another fellow wolverine headed south! if you have any questions while you're packing, feel free to shoot me an email.....

Francis said...

we will miss you! hope you have an amazing experience in Mexico.

Anonymous said...

Sounds a very excited job list. Enjoy your new advanture and wish you the best.

TY

Time in México City, México: